I watched the listening to and took notes on the strains from it that it’s essential see.
1. “The lie hasn’t gone away. It is corrupting our democratic establishments.” — Rep. Bennie Thompson
2. “We did not see any proof of fraud within the Fulton County episode.” — Former Lawyer Common Invoice Barr
3. “Every of those efforts to overturn the election is independently critical. Every deserves consideration each by Congress and by the Division of Justice.” — Rep. Liz Cheney
That is about as blunt as you may be when it comes to sending a message to the Justice Division. It is essential to recollect right here that the January 6 committee does not have the ability to cost anybody — as much as and together with the previous President — with legal wrongdoing. The committee can (though it is unclear if they may) make a legal referral to the DOJ. However even then, the Justice Division is below no obligation to pursue legal costs.
4. “Do not be distracted by politics. That is critical. We can not let America turn out to be a nation of conspiracy theories and thug violence.” — Cheney
Cheney’s name to maneuver past politics in assessing what occurred on January 6 (and why) will fall on (largely) deaf ears within the public. However that does not make what she is saying improper. Her level is that what occurred on January 6 was about proper and improper, about adhering to the Structure or breaking from it in a vastly ahistorical method. Cheney is not simply speaking the speak right here. Her place as vice chair of the committee — in addition to her vote to question Trump — might value her a seat in Congress later this summer time.
5. “The system held — however barely.” — Rep. Adam Schiff
It is a vastly essential level made by the California Democrat. Sure, Trump’s scheme to overturn the 2020 election failed. However had been it not for individuals like Raffensperger and Arizona state Home Speaker Rusty Bowers standing their floor amid a withering assault from Trump and his allies, the result may have been very totally different. And the thought of democracy within the US may have been badly broken, if not shredded completely.
6. “By no means.” — Bowers
This was Bowers’ response to a query as as to whether former New York Metropolis Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Trump lawyer Jenna Ellis had ever supplied him with any proof of their claims that there had been widespread fraud within the state. So…
7. “We have a number of theories. We simply do not have the proof.” — Giuliani, based on testimony from Bowers
8. “It is a tragic parody.” — Bowers
Bowers recounted how right-wing lawyer John Eastman had known as him on January 4, 2021, and requested him to decertify the Arizona electors. Bowers declined. Two days later, on the morning of January 6, Arizona Republican Rep. Andy Biggs known as Bowers to make the identical ask. Once more, Bowers declined. He referred to the entire effort as a “tragic parody.”
9. “I don’t wish to be a winner by dishonest.” — Bowers
A easy, however extremely highly effective assertion right here. Bowers repeatedly referred in his testimony to holding true to the promise he made to uphold the Structure. Bowers, at occasions emotional, made clear that there was merely no authorized or lawful strategy to do what Trump and his workforce was requesting be executed to overturn the Arizona election.
10. “When the correct reply comes out, you may be praised.” — Donald Trump
That is from a name Trump had with a Georgia election investigator wanting into his varied allegations of fraud. The not-so-subtle implication is evident: Simply do what Trump needs and be praised. And naturally, the alternative can also be true: Do not do what Trump needs, look out.
11. “The numbers are the numbers. The numbers do not lie.” — Raffensperger
It is that straightforward. Raffensperger informed Trump, repeatedly, that every one of his claims in regards to the vote in Georgia had been false — and that he merely did not get sufficient votes to win. As Raffensperger informed the panel: “On the finish of the day, President Trump simply got here up brief.” To say the rest was inconceivable.
12. “I do not care in regards to the hyperlink. … I’ve a a lot better hyperlink.” — Trump
Throughout a 67(!)-minute cellphone name with Trump, Raffensperger supplied to ship the then-President a hyperlink to a neighborhood TV station that instantly debunked Trump’s claims that “suitcases” of ballots had been introduced in to the area the place the proof was being counted. Trump responded by saying he had “a a lot better hyperlink.” He, uh, did not clarify what that “higher” hyperlink was.
13. “I would like 11,000 votes. Give me a break.” — Trump
The flippancy inherent on this request, which got here from Trump to Raffensperger, is titanic. Trump appears to assume it’s nothing for Raffensperger to “discover” sufficient ballots to place him excessive in Georgia. To be clear: Trump is asking the highest election official in Georgia to easily discover 11,00 votes to overturn the desire of the individuals within the state. And does it as if he is asking for nothing greater than asking for a cup of water.
14. “I have never been anyplace in any respect.” — Former Georgia election employee Wandrea “Shaye” Moss
Moss, who, alongside along with her mom, turned scapegoats for false election fraud claims pushed by Trump and Giuliani. Giuliani alleged that they are often seen on tape exchanging USB drives. Moss mentioned immediately that her mom was passing her a “ginger mint.” The toll that being singled out by the previous President of the USA has taken on Moss (and her mom) was brutal to listen to. Moss tearfully recounted that she would not exit any longer, she’s gained weight and he or she left a job as an election employee that she clearly cherished. It was arduous to hearken to. But additionally essential to hearken to.